WARNING!!! Do not make these cookies.
Don’t even dare to put one in your mouth, or your diet is over at the very moment.
I ate 7 of them and I regret…
I meant to eat only one, you know.
But if you really want to taste the simple gourmet flavor of true vanilla sugar cookies, make a batch by all means.
I don’t even like sugar cookies but these are truly good; crisp on the edge yet soft in the center with speckles of vanilla beans.
Irresistible is the exact description of how good these are once you put one cookie in your mouth.
Quite simple to make with ingredients you already have, only add vanilla beans.
Beat butter and sugar until fluffy
Split vanilla bean half lengthwise and scrape the goodness of mother nature.
Add the seeds to the butter mixture.
Add eggs and vanilla extract, beat until
they are combined well.
In a separate bowl sift flour, baking powder, and salt.
Add to the mixture and beat until just combined.
Now, you need to chill the dough for at least 30 minutes.
Make them into a teaspoonful ball and roll in the sugar.
A small cookie scoop is great for this job.
Place them 2″ apart on the cookie sheet lined with baking mat or parchment paper.
Bake for 6-8 minutes at 350ºF (170ºC). The edges will be lightly golden and the centers are soft.
(baking time will vary depends on your oven)
Cool on the wire rack.
Give yourself one to taste. Only one…
Be firm to one of your hands who is reaching out to these cookies.
I literally had to slap my left hand with my right hand because she kept putting these into my mouth.
BTW do not throw away the vanilla bean shells. Keep them with sugar. You will have fragrant vanilla sugar for your next baking project.
Oh, Honey Honey.
You are my candy girl,
and you got me wanting you.
Vanilla Bean Sugar Cookies (adapted from epicurious.com)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 2 tablespoons cold vegetable shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 vanilla beans
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sugar for coating
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (170ºC)
- In a bowl with an electric mixer beat together butter, shortening, and 3/4 cup sugar until light and fluffy. With a knife halve vanilla beans lengthwise. Scrape seeds into butter mixture and beat in egg and vanilla extract until combined well.
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt into mixture and beat until just combined.
- Let the dough chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Make into 1 inch size balls and roll them in 1/4 cup sugar. Place them 2" apart in a cookie sheet lined with baking mat or parchment paper.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes or until the edges gets lightly golden.