I used to think Thai food was not an easy cuisine to master. The flavor balance and the availability of Thai ingredients was not always easy to achieve. But, for living in SE Asian country, I can’t be more happier than getting everything I need to make good Thai dishes.
Here is one of the simplest and the most delicious Thai beef recipe; Thai Beef and Basil Stir-Fry. I LOVE Thai basil. It is very fragrant herb and a must for Thai cuisine. It is worth the trip to a specialty Asian grocery store to get this gorgeous herb if you can. However if you can’t find it, use any local basil. The fragrance will be a little different but still makes flavorful dish on its own.
With a very few ingredients, you can whip this Thai dinner within 20 minutes from start to finish. What a perfect dish to tackle when you crave for an Asian meal but not wanting to slave yourself next to a stove?
Make sure everything is all prepared and ready to jump in when you are ready to fire up your wok (or skillet).
Now make sure everything is right next to you and ready to go.
I had it with a freshly cooked Jasmin rice and it was just w-o-n-d-e-r-f-u-l!
So quick and easy to prepare, who needs Thai take out?
- 1 lb (450g) beef (any cut that is suitable for stir-fry), thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 handful Thai basil leaves
- 2 tablespoon grape seed or canola oil
- 3-5 Thai bird's eye chilies, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Thai fish sauce
- 3 tablespoon oyster sauce
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- In a small bowl, combine fish sauce, oyster sauce, sugar and water. Mix well and set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a wok (or skillet) over med-high heat and add garlic and chilies. Stir-fry for 10 seconds, then add the beef. Stir-fry until the beef is no longer in pink, about 2 minutes. Transfer the beef to a plate and set aside.
- Add the remaining 1 tbsp oil to the wok. Add the onion and the sauce. Stir-fry for 1-2 minutes until the onions are just soft. Add the beef and heat through. Add the basil leaves and remove the wok from the heat and shake everything to mix well.
- Serve immediately with jasmin rice.