If you want a quick gluten free breakfast or snacks, try this easy stir-fried rice cakes and eggs. Chewy rice cakes are stir-fried with onions first, then the addition of eggs will turn into scrambled eggs. It is easy, quick, delicious, and perfect to those who can not have gluten in their diet.
Rice cakes are versatile and they can be easily adapted in many different dishes. Most common rice cake recipes are the Korean style spicy rice cakes.
Explore the rice cakes in other dishes. I have replaced the pasta with rice cakes in my rice cakes in cream sauce recipe. That dish would be another great way to enjoy gluten free dish. Try the rice cakes in stir-fry dishes such as in this spicy Korean rice cake stir-fry. It is spicy but offers very tasty Korean flavor.
With this stir-fried rice cakes and eggs, I can think of many possibilities. Try adding other vegetables, meats, and even fresh chili or cayenne pepper to spice up the dish. You can infuse with other flavor like curry powder or cumin. The possibilities are endless and this simple recipe would be the beginning of all the creativity you can come up with.
You can use fresh rice cakes or chilled. If using fresh, you don’t need to precookl the rice cakes. If using chilled, blanch the rice cakes in boiling water for a couple of minutes to soften up. Rice cakes also comes in a different shapes and sizes. You can use any sizes or shapes. I used the stick kind for this recipe. Make sure to use the rice cakes that are made with 100% rice if you are looking for a gluten-free. Some rice cakes may contain wheat. Look at the ingredient label carefully.
Beat eggs and set aside.
If you are using chilled rice cakes, precook the rice cakes before adding the stir-fry. Bring a pot of water to boil, add the rice cakes and cook for 2 minutes or until the rice cakes are tender. Strain the cakes.
Put the rice cakes in a bowl and toss with a pinch of salt and sesame oil. Set aside.
Saute the onion until golden brown. Add the rice cakes and continue to cook for another minute.
Add the beaten eggs and toss. Cover with the lid and let them cook for 1 minute.
Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with green onion and lots of toasted sesame seeds. Serve hot. I tried mine with a few dashes of hot sauce and it was good. Enjoy!
5 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
- 1.2 lb rice cakes
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 large onion, sliced
- 4 eggs, beaten
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 green onion or 2 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- dashes hot sauce (optional)
- If your rice cakes are chilled, boil them in water for 2 minutes until they are soft. Put the rice cakes in a bowl and add a pinch of salt and sesame oil; toss and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over med-high heat. Saute the onion until golden brown, about 4-5 minutes. Add the rice cakes and cook for another minute.
- Add the beaten eggs to the skillet and stir around. Cover with the lid and let them cook for 1 minute. Uncover and continue to stir until the eggs are fully cooked. Season with salt the pepper according to your taste. Sprinkle with green onion (or chives) and serve hot. Drizzle with a few dashes of hot sauce if you like.