I like risotto. It is comforting, easy to make, and versatile. I had some leftover Korean Ox tail bone marrow soup that I made the other day and thought of making risotto with it. I didn’t have any Arborio rice on hand so I used Korean short grain rice and I was satisfied with the great result.
Soak white short grain rice for 20 minutes and drain.
Keep the bone marrow soup warm over simmering heat.
In a skillet saute onion and garlic until soft, add the mushroom and salt. I also splashed with a little bit of wine. That could be an optional step.
Add rice and stir for a minute.
Add chopped pumpkin and pour some soup stock a little bit at a time. You will need to stir as you cook down the liquid. Add more stock when it cooks down as you stirring. You will need to repeat this step until the rice and pumpkins are chewy and tender.
Add the cream…
and some grated Parmesan cheese. Taste and season with salt and pepper if needed.
Done! You don’t want to overcook the rice. Otherwise they become too mushy. Sprinkle some chopped parsley and it is good to go.
Simmering bone marrow soup for two days were time consuming, but the hard work pays off with many great dishes you can make with. This was quite satisfying and pleasant. If you happened to have some bone marrow soup stock, you should try. Yum~!
- 3/4 cup arborio rice or short grain rice
- 3 cups bone marrow stock
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 8 oz crimini mushrooms
- 1/3 lb pumpkin, chopped
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- If you are using Asian short grain rice, soak them in water for 20 minutes and drain. Set aside.
- Mix bone marrow stock and water in a pot and let it simmer over low heat.
- In a deep skillet, saute onion and garlic in olive oil until translucent. Add the rice and continue to saute for 1 minutes. Add the pumpkin and mushrooms and stir. Add 3-4 ladle of stock to the skillet and cook over medium low heat stirring constantly. When the rice seems dry, add more stock stirring constantly. Repeat the process until the rice and pumpkins are tender.
- Add the cream and cheese at the end, stir. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with fresh parsley, and serve warm.