Lemon meltaways are perfect summer cookies. Soft, buttery, shortbread-like cookies are irresistible. The right amount of sweetness and tartness makes these little lovelies in the game. If you like any baked goodies with lemon, these lemon meltaways are a must to try. Please check our my tutorial video for detailed instructions.
How to make lemon meltaway cookies?
You only need 5 ingredients total. These are sliced cookies, which means you will need to make the dough ahead of time roll into a long log and chill. When ready to bake, slice them thinly and bake accordingly.
For the cookies, you will need:
- Butter (room temperature)
- Powdered sugar
- Lemon zest
- Lemon juice
- All-purpose flour
You must use powdered sugar (confectioner’s sugar) for the soft and melt-in-your-mouth texture.
Once dough is made, roll into a long log and cut in half. Wrap each log with a piece of plastic and chill for at least 2 hours or until the dough gets firm.
When finished baking, let the cookies cool in a pan for 2-3 minutes first and coat them with powdered sugar. Make sure the cookies are still warm. Cooled cookies don’t adhere to the powdered sugar very well. I like to coat them in sugar twice to ensure the coating, but that is an optional.
Can you freeze these cookies?
Absolutely! They freeze beautifully and can be kept in the freezer up to 6 months if you store in an airtight container. The powdered sugar can be slightly damp while thawing, but will get dry up again once fully thawed.
Yields about 3 dozens
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1-3/4 cup + 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup extra powdered sugar for coating
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment mix the butter and powdered sugar together on medium speed until smooth. Add the lemon zest and lemon juice and mix well.
- In another bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and stir until combined.
- Form the dough into a long log, 1-1/4 inch in diameter. Cut the log in half and wrap each log separately with a plastic wrap. Chill the logs for at least 2 hour or until they get firm.
- Preheat the oven to 350?F. Slice the log into 1/4-inch thick slices and place on to the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Let the cookies rest in a baking sheet for 2-3 minutes. When the cookies are still warm, roll them in powdered sugar. Transfer the cookies to a wired rack and cool completely.