Okay, I am nervous right now. This is my very first blog posting and I don’t think anybody will find this or read this posting but why am I still nervous? Would you allow me to go and grab plateful of Japchae and I will continue to write this down as I am eating….?
Japchae (잡채) is perhaps the most famous Korean noodle dish. It is a must for any banquet or feast table. You can eat this dish alone or with some rice. This can be a great vegetarian dish as well if yo omit the beef. The key to making flavorful Japchae is seasoning each ingredient separately. Let me show you how you can make this beautiful dish to impress your significant others. Are you ready?
That’s easy so far, right?Season beef with soy sauce, sugar, garlic and rice wine.
Set aside to marinade.Clean mushroom with brush or paper towel. slice or tear mushrooms into strips.
Now look at these beautiful Korean spinach!
You gotta clean them well first by soaking in the water to get rid of all the dirt.
Blanch the spinach in the boiling water with a little bit of salt. Be quick on this because they only need 3 seconds to blanch.
Mine got cooked 10 second because I HAD TO TAKE A PICTURE!
I blanched the spinach right after I did mushrooms in the same water.
Squeeze out some excess water but not too much.
If you squeeze too strong you are removing too much of it’s own moisture and the spinach will get tough.
Season with salt, sugar sesame oil and set aside.
Slice onion and chop some garlic.
Saute carrots with some salt and sugar until tender crisp. Set aside.
Add the noodle seasonings and mix well to coat the noodles.
let them cool.
Throw all the ingredients and toss them well.
Adjust seasoning as you like.
You gotta use your hands for this job.
Those disposable gloves are handy for this.
Finally the job is done!
Well, Well, Well….
Sit back and enjoy your labor of the day.
How about you?
- Mix beef in the marinade. Set aside.
- Boil water in a pot. Blanch mushrooms first for 2 seconds. Take them out and rinse them in the cold water. Squeeze out excess water. place in a bowl.
- In the same boiling water add spinach, blanch for 3 seconds. rinse in the cold water as well. squeeze out excess water and place in a bowl.
- Season mushrooms and spinach each with their seasoning ingredients separately.
- Saute onions and carrots separately with some salt and sugar to taste over medium heat.
- Saute beef and cook until done. Reserve the juice from the meat in the pan. Set a side the meat.
- Meanwhile, boil water in a pot. Add the noodles and stir them first. Cook for about 6 minutes or follow package direction.
- Rinse them under cold water. Drain the noodles. Cut the noodles if you desire.
- Cook noodles in the pan with reserved meat juice over medium heat. Add the noodle seasoning and toss them well. Let all the ingredients to cool down to room temp.
- Toss noodles with beef, spinach, mushrooms, onions, carrots with hand. Adjust seasoning for your taste. Serve in a room temperature. Enjoy.