Creamy potato salad is a dreamy side dish for any summer BBQ and potluck party. Tender and flaky potato chunks with crunchy bits of fresh celery covered in creamy dressing makes this salad to be one of the best potato salad you can eat.
The addition of fresh dills are not to be missed here. Of course, crisp bacons will make the salad very, very enjoyable, too. However, every ingredient that goes into this salad takes their pride to make it special. I would not miss out anything.
Choose your potatoes wisely.
I highly recommend to use Yukon potato. Their rich and creamy texture goes really well in this salad with the creamy dressing. You can use the red potatoes, too, but I personally don’t like to bite on potato skins so much. Therefore it is my personal choice to use Yukon potato that has been peeled.
Use fresh herbs – dills.
Summer herbs are abundant and easily found. Fresh dills brings the flavor and the fragrance to this dish. It also adds a fresh presentation and the look of this salad and I would not omit it.
Want a creamy potato salad? Use heavy cream.
The addition of cream in the dressing makes this salad so creamy and tasty. You can substitute with half and half, but the creaminess might not be the same.
Mayonnaise or sour cream?
You can use either one of your choice, but I like to use both. You can adjust the amount of each depends on what you prefer.
Peel and slice the potatoes anyway you like. I sliced them into disks this time. You can dice into chunks if that’s what you prefer.
Cook them in boiling water with some salt until just tender Do not overcook. Otherwise the potatoes will get mushy. Drain the potato and set aside.
Combine all the dressing ingredients. Chop celery, green onion, and dill.
Put the potatoes in a large mixing bowl along with the other ingredients. Add the dressing and toss gently to coat evenly.
It is the best to serve this salad cold. So chill the potato salad for at least 1 hour in the fridge.
Garnish with crispy bacon on top if you wish. Enjoy!
20 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 2.2 lb Yukon potato, peeled and diced
- 2-3 green onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup celery chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh dill chopped
- 3 tbsp sweet relish
- 4 strips bacon, cooked and chopped to garnish
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 5 tbsp heavy cream or half and half
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cover the potato with water in a pot and bring to boil over med-high heat; cook until the potatoes are fork tender. Drain the potato and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine all the dressing ingredients and mix well.
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, celery, green onion, dill, and the relish. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss gently with a spoon to coat evenly.
- Chill the salad in the fridge for at least 1 hour. Sprinkle the bacon on top when you serve. You can store the salad in the fridge upto 5 days in the fridge.