Okay, It is November 8th and I am very happy to announce the winner of my first giveaway. It is Rebecca from Indecisive baker. Congratulations, Rebecca! and thanks to all of you who enter. I wish I could choose all of you as a winner…
It is quite cold outside these days. I hear my piano man coughing often. He has been sick for a few days with cold. Life is busy with lots things happening everyday and I felt bad that I didn’t pay him much attention when he got sick. For being a such a good wife (?) I decide to make him some good soup from scratch.
When you think of making a soup for your loved ones, what ingredients comes to your mind first?
For me, it is this guy…
I am so happy to see the headless chicken.
♪♪♪ I believe I can fly… ♪♪♪
You can put the soup together 30 minutes before serving.
To make home-made chicken stock;
Boil and simmer for 1-1 1/2 hour.
♪♪♪ I believe I can’t fly… ♪♪♪
Discard all the other stuff.
I usually let the stock to cool down and put it in the fridge
I keep them in the fridge until ready to use.
It scoops off easily with a spoon.
Now, let’s get down to business.
and of course, the chicken pieces.
Slice, dice, chop the vegetables.
Add stock and let them boil and reduce the heat to medium-low.
and collard green to the pot.
Add some salt and pepper (Remember the stock had no salt in it).
So I like to add my personal touch.
Chop some tomatoes and cilantro,
cut some limes, and green chili or whatever chili you have.
You can add fresh avocado, chili flakes, green onions, etc on the soup.
Spice up with some cumin or nutmeg, or fresh herbs if you wish.
Be creative with flavor.
I serve on top of hot rice, just a little bit.
Garnish with whatever topping you like.
- For the chicken stock
- 3 1/2-4 lb whole chicken cleaned
- 1 large leek or 1 large onion cut up
- 2-3 celery cut up
- 1 head garlic break apart
- 1 Tbsp whole peppercorn
- 10 C water
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 carrot sliced
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 6-8 frozen corn nibbler
- 3/4 lb frozen chopped collard green
- reserved shredded chicken pieces
- salt and pepper to season
- 4 C hot rice
- Tomato, cilantro, green or red chili, chili flakes, lime, green onion, avocado, cumin, nutmeg, parsley, dill, oregano, etc.
- To make stock, combine all ingredients in a big pot over high heat. Add water, cover the lid, and let it boil. Reduce the heat to low, and simmer for at least 1 hr until the chicken legs are falling off from the body. Take the chicken out, let it rest. Shred chicken into bite size. Drain the stock in a mesh to reserve, and discard all the vegetables. Let the stock to cool down and chill for couple of hours. You can easily remove the fat floating on top with a spoon when chilled.
- To make the soup, saute onion, garlic, and carrot with olive oil in a big pot for 2 minutes over medium high heat. Add the chicken stock, let it boil and reduce he heat to medium-low. Add corn, chicken and collard green. Let it boil first and reduce the heat to low, cover the lid and simmer for another 10-15 minutes until all the vegetables are tender. Season with some salt and pepper.
- To serve, place some hot cooked rice (about 1/2 cup or less for each serving) in a serving bowl, pour the hot soup over rice. Top with some tomatoes, cilantro, lime wedge, chili, fresh herbs etc. Serve immediately.