Brazilian cheese bread, aka Pão de Queijo, is a small baked cheese bun. It is a popular snack and breakfast food in Brazil. This simple and gluten-free cheese bread is very easy and quick to make and so tasty. The most common time to eat the Pão de Queijo is for breakfast in Brazil. But I can see this would make a wonderful afternoon snack as well. Another wonderful thing about this bread is that it is a gluten-free!
What is Brazilian cheese bread made with
- Tapioca flour (starch)
- shredded cheese
Tapioca flour is also known as tapioca starch. They are the same thing. Unfortunately you can’t substitute with other kind of starch for tapioca flour. Other types of starch won’t create the same texture. Tapioca flour is very fine, white powder that works well in gluten free baking. You can use any cheese of your choice. I like mine with Parmesan cheese and mozzarella cheese. You can also add some mince garlic or dried herbs to make it more flavorful if you wish.
For oil, I used grape seed oil this time. Olive oil would be great too.
How to make Brazilian cheese bread?
You don’t knead any fancy kitchen gear to make this bread. All you need is a pot to heat milk and oil, and mixing bowl and a wooden spoon. Just mix the tapioca flour with the heated milk & oil, eggs and stir. Add the cheese and mix well. Scoop out the dough into a golf ball size on a baking sheet and bake. That’s it!
Hope you enjoy this chewy flavorful bread for breakfast or as a snack. So delicious!
Enjoy these yummy Brazilian cheese bread while they are hot. They are soft, slightly gooey and chewy and very tasty. Once cooled, they get hardened and not as soft.
Yields 3 dozens
5 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
- 1 lb (450g) tapioca flour
- 1-1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 6 oz shredded Parmesan cheese
- 6 oz shredded Mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400?F.
- Combine milk, oil, and salt in a pot and bring it boil.
- Put tapioca flour in a large mixing bowl and pour the hot milk mixture over; stir briefly. Add the eggs and mix well with a wooden spoon. Add the cheeses and mix well.
- Using a tablespoon cookie scoop or a spoon drop the dough in a size of golf bowl on a baking sheet lined with a parchment paper, 2-inch apart. Bake for 15-20 minutes until the edges gets slightly golden brown. Serve hot.