If you are looking for a gorgeous yest easy to make, and delicious cake recipe, here is one I recommend. This Berry crumb cake has it all. Simple buttery delicious crisp crumbs will do all the work. You don’t need to make a separate cake batter for this cake. It does have an appearance of pie-and it some how tastes like a pie-but it is in the category of cakes. It is a super simple and no fuss recipe that everyone will rave once they taste it. Check out my YouTube video for the tutorials.
How to make crumbs
Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add the cold butter pieces and start blending together. I like to use two plastic bench scrapers to cut the butters in the flour. You can certainly use fingers to do the job as well.
Add the well beaten egg – the egg will binds the flour + butter mixture and turn them into crumbs.
You will divide the crumbs into two portion, one for bottom crust, and the other for the topping.
What other fruits can I use besides berries?
Peaches, plums, nectarines, grapes, apples, pears, and etc. Any fruits that are suitable for baking will work great with this recipe.
Can I bake this cake in a pie dish?
If you don’t have a springform pan, you can use a pie dish, or any baking dish.
Can I freeze the crumb cake?
Crumb cake freezes well. Wrap them well and freeze up to 3 months. Thaw it in a room temperature for several hours before you serve.
Yields 1 (9-inch) cake
- 2-1/2 cup flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3 cup berries (blueberry, raspberry, & blackberry)
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1-1/2 tsp cornstarch
- Preheat the oven to 350?F. Grease a 9-inch springform pan
- In a large mixing bow, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt. Add the butter pieces and mix with flour mixture using a dough scraper or fingers until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the egg and mix with a fork first, then use your finger to moisten the flour mixture until it becomes crumbs.
- Sprinkle half the amount of the crumbs in the pan and gently press down to form a crust.
- In another mixing bowl, combine berries, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, and cornstarch; mix well. Pour on the crust and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle the rest of the crumbs to cover the berries. Bake for 40 minutes or until the top gets light golden brown. Let the cake cool in a pan for 10 minutes. Remove from the pan and cool completely.
More Quick Dessert Recipes